Here are 10 controversial quotes from Mark Wahlberg .
- “I did a lot of things that I regretted and I certainly paid for my mistakes.” This quote is from Wahlberg’s 2014 pardon application, where he sought to have his teenage hate crimes erased from his record. He claimed that he had changed his ways and become a better person and citizen. However, his request was met with criticism and opposition from some of his victims and Asian-American activists, who argued that he had not shown enough remorse or accountability for his actions.
- “If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn’t have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, ‘OK, we’re going to land somewhere safely, don’t worry.’” This quote is from a 2012 interview with Men’s Journal, where Wahlberg talked about how he would have reacted if he was on one of the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center on 9/11. He later apologized for his insensitive remarks, saying that he was out of line and did not mean to disrespect the victims or their families.
- “I don’t want to let my guard down and feel too comfortable. If you become complacent, you start feeling entitled. I’m ready to go dig ditches if I have to. Whatever I gotta do to provide for my family. Whatever I gotta do to make sure that I stay the best possible dad for my kids.” This quote is from a 2017 interview with Esquire, where Wahlberg talked about his work ethic and family values. However, some people found his statement hypocritical and tone-deaf, considering that he had earned $68 million that year and was involved in a pay scandal where he received $1.5 million for reshooting scenes for All the Money in the World, while his co-star Michelle Williams only got $80 per day.
- “I’m telling you right now, dude: I will go after Bin Laden.” This quote is also from the same 2012 interview with Men’s Journal, where Wahlberg expressed his desire to hunt down the terrorist leader who was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. He said that he had trained with Navy SEALs for a movie role and felt confident that he could take him down. He also claimed that he had a list of people that he wanted to kill or beat up, including former Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.
- “I don’t want to use it as an excuse for what happened … I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life and I’ve done bad things. But I never blamed my upbringing for that. I never behaved like a victim so that I would have a convenient reason for victimizing others.” This quote is from a 2006 interview with 60 Minutes, where Wahlberg opened up about his troubled childhood and how he overcame his drug addiction and criminal past. He said that he took responsibility for his actions and did not blame his parents or environment for his choices. He also said that he found faith in God and turned his life around.
- “I’m not out pounding the pavement for work. I still don’t feel like I’m ready to do anything else.” This quote is from a 2008 interview with Parade, where Wahlberg talked about his career and how he felt insecure about his acting abilities. He said that he still had a lot to learn and improve on, and that he did not want to take on roles that he was not comfortable with or passionate about. He also said that he was selective about the projects that he worked on and did not want to compromise his integrity or artistic vision.
- “I know there are more important things going on in the world right now but somebody has to take a stand.” This quote is from a 2016 tweet by Wahlberg, where he expressed his frustration over Tom Brady’s suspension from the NFL for his involvement in the Deflategate scandal. He said that he was a loyal fan of the New England Patriots quarterback and that he felt that he was unfairly punished by the league. He also said that he was willing to fight for Brady’s rights and reputation.
- “I think it just goes back to me wanting to be able to relate to everybody.” This quote is from a 2010 interview with The Guardian, where Wahlberg talked about his diverse range of roles and how he tried to portray different characters and perspectives. He said that he wanted to challenge himself as an actor and explore different genres and stories. He also said that he wanted to connect with different audiences and cultures and show them different sides of himself.
- “I’ve always looked at my career as an athlete would look at his.” This quote is from a 2013 interview with Men’s Health UK, where Wahlberg talked about his fitness regimen and how he prepared for his roles physically and mentally. He said that he treated his career like a sport and that he trained hard and stayed disciplined to achieve his goals. He also said that he enjoyed working out and staying in shape, and that it helped him cope with stress and anxiety.
- “I love Jim Cameron but when you do films like [Avatar], it’s not acting anymore.” This quote is from a 2010 interview with Total Film, where Wahlberg talked about his opinion on CGI-heavy movies and how they affected the craft of acting. He said that he preferred working on more realistic and grounded films, where he could use his skills and emotions to create believable performances. He also said that he did not like wearing motion-capture suits or acting in front of green screens, as it took away from the authenticity and spontaneity of acting.