Here are 30 facts about the LA Galaxy:
1. The LA Galaxy, also known as the Los Angeles Galaxy, is an American professional men’s soccer club based in the Los Angeles metropolitan area.
2. It is one of the Major League Soccer (MLS) charter members, having been founded on June 15, 1994.
3. The Galaxy competes in the MLS as a member of the Western Conference.
4. The club’s home matches are played at the Dignity Health Sports Park, which has a capacity of 27,000.
5. The team’s owner is Anschutz Entertainment Group.
6. The current head coach is Greg Vanney.
7. The position of the club’s president is currently vacant.
8. In their early years, the Galaxy played their home games at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.
9. Since 2003, they have been playing at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California.
10. The team has a well-established rivalry with the San Jose Earthquakes, known as the California Clásico.
11. They also had a strong rivalry with the Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC), dubbed “El Tráfico”.
12. The LA Galaxy is one of the most successful teams in the MLS, with a record five MLS Cups and four additional appearances in the final.
13. They have won the Western Conference regular-season title eight times.
14. They have claimed four Supporters’ Shields, won two U.S. Open Cups, and earned one CONCACAF Champions’ Cup title.
15. In 2007, the club made international headlines by signing English player David Beckham from Real Madrid.
16. The club has fielded other high-profile international players as well, including Zlatan Ibrahimović, Steven Gerrard, Robbie Keane, Luis Hernández, Giovani dos Santos, Mauricio Cienfuegos, Jonathan dos Santos, Jorge Campos, Ashley Cole, Javier Hernández, and American Landon Donovan, who is the all-time leading scorer for the club.
17. In 2019, Forbes estimated that the club is the second most valuable in the league, worth about $480 million.
18. The Galaxy began competing in the first season of the MLS in 1996.
19. In the inaugural season, they finished first in the Western Conference and contested the first MLS Cup final, finishing as runners-up to D.C. United.
20. In the 2000 season, they came second in the Western Division and won the CONCACAF Champions’ Cup, becoming one of only two American clubs to win the tournament.
21. The 2023 season is the club’s 28th season in the MLS.
22. Their current standing in the MLS as of mid-2023 is 13th in the Conference and 28th overall.
23. The top goalscorers for LA Galaxy in the 2023 season are Dejan Joveljić and Tyler Boyd, each with 2 goals in the league and 3 overall.
24. The average home league attendance for the 2023 season is 20,531.
25. For the 2023 season, the club has an exciting schedule with games against various teams, including their crosstown rivals LAFC in the 17th edition across all competitions of El Tráfico.
26. The club also hosts three Eastern Conference teams at Dignity Health Sports Park and travels to play against three Eastern Conference opponents.
27. Prior to the Galaxy’s 2023 opening match, the club will square off against Toronto FC in a preseason match at Dignity Health Sports Park.
28. The club has made several new signings for the 2023 season, including Brazilian players Lucas Calegari and Douglas Costa, Spanish player Riqui Puig, Uruguayan Gastón Brugman, and Serbian Dejan Joveljić.
29. The club also transferred out Julian Araujo to FC Barcelona Atlètic.
30. Finally, the Galaxy have theme nights during the 2023 campaign, including Central American Heritage Night, Hispanic Heritage Night, and Fan Appreciation Night.