Here are 10 controversial quotes from Kate Winslet
- “I burp, I fart. I’m a real woman.” This quote shows that Kate Winslet is not afraid to be herself and embrace her natural bodily functions. She challenges the unrealistic expectations of femininity and beauty that are often imposed on women in the media and society. She also expresses her confidence and self-acceptance in a humorous way.
- “So I won an Oscar. It’s amazing. I’ve got that for the rest of my life for a performance I am proud of. It nearly killed me. I am really proud of the film. That’s it, moving on.” This quote reveals that Kate Winslet is not obsessed with fame or awards, but rather with the quality of her work and the satisfaction of doing a good job. She also shows that she is not complacent or arrogant, but ready to move on to new challenges and opportunities. She does not let success define her or limit her.
- “You’re supposed to be the leading lady in your own life, for God’s sake!” This quote is a line from her movie The Holiday, where she plays a character who is unhappy with her love life and career. She encourages herself and other women to take charge of their own destiny and happiness, and not to settle for less than they deserve. She also implies that women should not depend on men or anyone else to make them feel fulfilled or valued.
- “Just because society, and government, and whatever was different 100 years ago, doesn’t mean that people didn’t have sex, pick their nose, or swear.” This quote is a response to the criticism she faced for doing nude scenes in period dramas like Titanic and The Reader. She defends her artistic choices and argues that human nature and behavior do not change much over time, regardless of the historical or cultural context. She also challenges the stereotypes and prejudices that often shape our perception of the past.
- “I have no regrets. If you regret things, you’re sort of stepping backwards. I’m a believer in going forwards. You always have to carry on.” This quote reflects Kate Winslet’s positive attitude and resilience in life. She does not dwell on the past or the mistakes she might have made, but rather learns from them and moves on. She also shows that she is not afraid of change or failure, but embraces them as part of her growth and development.
- “To produce foie gras, ducks and geese are force-fed enormous amounts of grain and fat, which causes their livers to swell to many times the normal size.” This quote is part of her narration for a PETA video that exposes the cruelty of foie gras production. She uses graphic and shocking language to describe the suffering of the animals and to appeal to the viewers’ compassion and conscience. She also shows her commitment to animal rights and veganism, which are controversial topics for some people.
- “I know the true meaning of getting by by the skin of my teeth; I do. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve got money or you haven’t, whether you’re famous or not. This is the case for all women, actually; you have to carry on. You always have to carry on. And you can, because you have to.” This quote shows that Kate Winslet understands the struggles and challenges that women face in their lives, regardless of their social status or wealth. She also expresses her solidarity and empathy with other women, and encourages them to persevere and overcome their difficulties. She also demonstrates her strength and determination in facing her own challenges.
- “I don’t beat myself up any more about going to work. It doesn’t mean I’m being a bad mother just because I want to go and do my job sometimes.” This quote addresses the guilt and pressure that many working mothers feel when they have to balance their career and family responsibilities. She asserts her right and desire to pursue her passion and profession, without compromising her love and care for her children. She also challenges the double standards and expectations that are often imposed on women by society.
- “As a child, I never heard one woman say to me, ‘I love my body’. Not my mother, my elder sister, my best friend.” This quote reveals the lack of positive body image and self-esteem that many women suffer from, due to the unrealistic and harmful standards of beauty that are propagated by the media and culture. She also shares her personal experience of growing up without hearing any affirmation or appreciation of women’s bodies from other women around her.
- “Kate Winslet on Being Bullied as a Kid: ‘They Locked Me in a Cupboard’” This quote is not actually from Kate Winslet herself, but from a headline of an article that reports on her speech at a charity event in London in 2017. She shared her story of being bullied at school for being overweight and having acne, and how she overcame those obstacles to achieve her dreams of becoming an actress. She also inspired other young people who might be facing similar challenges to believe in themselves and follow their passions.