Here are 10 quotes from Ben Stiller that could be considered controversial.
- “Fashion is so over the top.” This quote is from an interview Stiller did for his movie “Zoolander”, in which he plays a clueless male model. The quote could be seen as a critique of the superficiality and extravagance of the fashion industry, which might offend some people who work in or admire that field.
- “Words can only hurt you if you try to read them. Don’t play their game!” This quote is from Stiller’s character Derek Zoolander in the same movie. He says this to his rival Hansel, played by Owen Wilson, after they receive a letter from a mysterious villain. The quote could be interpreted as an anti-intellectual statement that discourages literacy and critical thinking, which might upset some people who value education and knowledge.
- “I don’t need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines!” This quote is another example of Zoolander’s stupidity and ignorance. He says this to Hansel when they are lost in the jungle and trying to find their way back to civilization. The quote could be seen as a mockery of common sense and logic, which might annoy some people who rely on them.
- “God was showing off when he made you.” This quote is from Stiller’s character Rabbi Jake Schram in the movie “Keeping the Faith”, in which he plays a Jewish rabbi who falls in love with his childhood friend Anna, played by Jenna Elfman. He says this to Anna when they are dancing at a club. The quote could be considered controversial because it implies that God has a preference for certain people based on their appearance, which might offend some people who believe that God loves everyone equally.
- “Success doesn’t necessarily mean happiness.” This quote is from Stiller himself, in an interview he gave to Indie London. He says this to explain why he chooses to do different kinds of movies and not just stick to one genre. The quote could be seen as controversial because it challenges the conventional wisdom that achieving fame and fortune is the ultimate goal of life, which might disappoint some people who aspire to that.
- “I have a lot of nervous energy. Work is my best way of channelling that into something productive unless I want to wind up assaulting the postman or gardener.” This quote is also from Stiller himself, in another interview he gave to Indie London. He says this to describe his personality and work ethic. The quote could be seen as controversial because it suggests that he has violent impulses that he needs to suppress by working hard, which might alarm some people who worry about his mental health.
- “I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking.” This quote is yet another one from Zoolander, in which he expresses his doubt about his career as a model and his desire to find a deeper meaning in life. The quote could be seen as controversial because it mocks the vanity and narcissism of some people who base their self-worth on their looks, which might hurt their feelings.
- “Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty.” This quote is also from Zoolander, in which he recites a line from an advertisement he did for a perfume called Aveda. The quote could be seen as controversial because it makes no sense and sounds ridiculous, which might insult some people who take beauty seriously.
- “I studied Tom Cruise running in all the Mission Impossibles. I think he’s one of the best screen runners.” This quote is from Stiller himself, in an interview he did for his movie “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”, in which he plays a museum guard who has to run a lot. He says this to praise Cruise’s running skills and reveal his inspiration for his own running scenes. The quote could be seen as controversial because it implies that running is an important skill for an actor, which might belittle some people who think that acting requires more than just physical abilities.
- “I think most politicians could take a dodgeball in the face.” This quote is from Stiller himself, in an interview he did for his movie “Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story”, in which he plays a ruthless gym owner who competes against a ragtag team of misfits in a dodgeball tournament. He says this to express his opinion on politics and politicians. The quote could be seen as controversial because it shows disrespect and contempt for political leaders, which might anger some people who support them.