The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak across the globe in recent times has been declared to be a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Coronavirus or CoV is a large virus family known to cause common flu as well as severe respiratory diseases like Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). However, it was in 2019 that the new strain, called COVID-19 was discovered.
Considering the fact that this virus strain was previously not known to humans, there is no availability of vaccines or medicines. But, as the saying goes, “prevention is better than cure,” here we present 10 tips to help you prevent and getting coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Avoid exposure to the virus: The foremost step that you should take is avoiding exposure to the virus. The highly contagious nature of this virus makes everyone susceptible so avoid getting exposed to the virus.
- Wash your hands: Frequent washing of hands with soap and water for 20 seconds is highly recommended. Choose to wash your hands after visiting a public place, after sneezing or coughing, after blowing your nose, prior to meals and also while cooking food.
- Using hand sanitizer: Though using soap and water is a better option, but in case it is not available, use a hand sanitizer and rub it on your hands till it becomes dry. However, ensure that the hand sanitizer contains a minimum of 60 percent alcohol.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands: Our hands touch several surfaces that may contain the virus. So, you should avoid touching your eyes, mouth or nose with unwashed hands as the virus can enter your system and make you sick.
- Social distancing: Keep a minimum distance of 1 meter from a person who is coughing or sneezing. This is important to prevent coming in contact with the tiny liquid droplets, which may contain the COVID-19 virus.
- Good hygienic practices: Be sure to cover your mouth and nose while you sneeze with your elbow or with a tissue. Dispose of the tissue immediately.
- Stay indoor: If you are feeling unwell, stay at home and relax. Even if you feel unsafe to travel, considering the rising cases being reported every day all over the world, choose to work from home.
- Seek medical care early: In case you are feeling unwell monitor your symptoms. If you have fever, cough, as well as difficulty in breathing, seek medical advice early. And, don’t panic.
- Stay informed: Stay informed about coronavirus and listen to the advice given by healthcare professionals. Don’t let rumors affect you.
- Act responsibly: Coronavirus is contagious and spreading fast, so now is the time to act like a responsible person. Do your bit in helping to contain the spread of the virus.
The huge number of people with coronavirus is surely a thing of concern and immediate action is needed to prevent the spread of this virus. However, rather than panicking, stay calm and do what you can do to stop the spread of the virus.