Every day we face challenges that come in different shapes and magnitude. But when our spirits are high and mood elevated, overcoming all these obstacles becomes all the more easier. It is true that a sweet treat of chocolate or your favorite ice cream seems to do the trick, but along with them, there are also other foods too that can uplift your mood.
According to research, it has come to fore that foods contain certain compounds which causes a chain on the brain structure which in turn uplifts our mood and changes the behavior as well. Here we present 15 best foods that can lift your mood:
- Fish: Omega-3 is said to play a vital role in mental wellbeing. Fish contains omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are known to have mood-stabilizing properties and play an important role in the mental well-being. Fatty fishes like mackerel, snapper, contains higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Blueberries: Antioxidants aid in making the brain happy and it is found in good amounts in berries like blueberries. The flavonoids in blueberry help in lifting your mood.
- Cherries: Cherries give a very relaxing feeling due to the presence of the hormone, melatonin. It actually works like a pain killer.
- Banana: According to studies, a diet low in sodium and high in potassium is said to have a positive impact on the mood. And, banana contains a high quantity of potassium along with vitamin B6, which will ensure to lift up your mood.
- Lentils: Lentils are rich in folate, which helps in preventing depression.
- Walnuts: The presence of antioxidants along with compounds like folate, vitamin E, and omega-3 fatty acids all contributes to uplift your mood. Additionally, the magnesium in walnuts stabilizes blood sugar.
- Honey: Honey contains quercetin and kaempferol, which provides a naturally sweet defense for upping your mood.
- Avocado: Avocados are rich in folate, vitamin B6, and magnesium. All of these components are known to be mood lifters!
- Chocolate: One food that is the go-to food for comfort is chocolate. Chocolate contains phenethylamine, anandamide, and polyphenols, which triggers the release of pleasurable endorphins and impacts the mood in a positive way.
- Green tea: Green tea is known to have a beneficial effect on the mood. Matcha deserves a special mention for its high content of amino acid L-theanine, which helps to calm the mind and lift your mood.
- Dark green leafy vegetables: Dark green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale are rich in folate and magnesium, which regulates the mood and reduces anxiety.
- Broccoli: Green vegetables like broccoli is rich in chromium, which is known to regulate the mood, reduce anxiety and depression too.
- Coffee: Coffee contains caffeine, which produces dopamine in our body, which produces a feeling of euphoria and thus uplifts the mood. Studies have shown that daily consumption of 400 ml of coffee helps in fighting depression.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes help in regulating your mood due to its lycopene content. This compound is also known to give tomatoes its red color.
- Beetroot: Beetroot is a natural anti-depressant. Betaine and B vitamin folate are the components in beetroot that uplifts your mood.