Here are 10 controversial quotes from Tim Allen
- “Once I realized the last president pissed people off, I kinda liked that.” This quote was from an episode of the WTF with Marc Maron podcast in 2021, where Tim Allen expressed his support for Donald Trump and his fiscal conservatism. This quote angered many fans who disagreed with his political views or expected him to be more liberal.
- “Real men don’t use instructions, son. Besides, this is just the manufacturer’s opinion on how to put this together.” This quote was from his character Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor on the sitcom Home Improvement, which ran from 1991 to 1999. The show often portrayed Tim as a clumsy and arrogant handyman who frequently ignored safety precautions and advice from others. This quote reflected his macho attitude and disregard for authority, which sometimes led to humorous but dangerous situations.
- “Women now have choices. They can be married, not married, have a job, not have a job, be married with children, unmarried with children. Men have the same choice we’ve always had: work, or prison.” This quote was from his book Don’t Stand Too Close to a Naked Man, which was published in 1994. The book was a collection of humorous essays and anecdotes about his life and opinions on various topics. This quote was criticized for being sexist and insensitive to the struggles of women and men in different circumstances.
- “Can we take a direct flight back to reality or do we have to change planes in Denver?” This quote was from his character Scott Calvin in the movie The Santa Clause, which was released in 1994. The movie was about a divorced father who accidentally kills Santa Claus and has to take his place. This quote was said by Scott when he was trying to convince his son Charlie that he was not really Santa Claus and that they had to go back home.
- “If it ain’t broke, you can probably still fix it.” This quote was also from his character Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor on Home Improvement. It was one of his catchphrases that he used whenever he wanted to modify or improve something that was already working fine. This quote often resulted in him breaking or ruining the thing he was trying to fix, much to the dismay of his family and friends.
- “You don’t know what people are really like until they’re under a lot of stress.” This quote was from an interview with IMDb, where he shared some personal insights and experiences. He said this quote when he was talking about how he learned to cope with stress and adversity in his life, especially after his father’s death and his drug arrest.
- “The greatest missile in the world is useless … unless it’s targeted. A torpedo is adrift unless it has someplace to go. An arrow is pointless unless it hits something. So it’s important for kids–for everyone, even if you fail at first–to target something and head in that direction. With all your might.” This quote was from his book I’m Not Really Here, which was published in 1996. The book was a philosophical memoir that explored his thoughts on aging, fame, spirituality, and quantum physics. This quote was part of his advice on how to achieve success and happiness in life by having a clear goal and pursuing it passionately.
- “Now the denominator … why don’t they just call it the bottom number? The denominator … that sounds like a Schwarzenegger movie doesn’t it? [impersonating Arnold Schwarzenegger] I am the Denominator. I’ll give your leg a compound fraction!” This quote was from his stand-up comedy routine that he performed in the late 1980s and early 1990s. He often joked about various topics such as men vs women, cars, tools, sports, drugs, etc. This quote was one of his jokes about math and how he found it confusing and boring.
- “To get a man’s attention, just stand in front of the TV and don’t move. He’ll talk to you. I promise.” This quote was also from his book Don’t Stand Too Close to a Naked Man. It was one of his tips on how to communicate with men and get them to listen to you. He claimed that men are easily distracted by television and other things, so the best way to get their attention is to block their view of whatever they are watching.
- “Man is the only animal to borrow tools.” This quote was also from his stand-up comedy routine. He used this quote to illustrate how men are obsessed with tools and gadgets, and how they like to show off their collections to other men. He also joked that men never return the tools they borrow from their friends or neighbors.