Jack Nicholson is an American actor, producer, director and screenwriter who is widely regarded as one of the greatest actors of all time. He has won three Academy Awards out of 12 nominations, making him the most nominated male actor in the Academy’s history. He is also known for playing rebels and antiheroes in many of his films, such as Easy Rider, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, The Shining, Chinatown, Batman and The Departed. Nicholson was born on April 22, 1937 in Neptune City, New Jersey. He grew up believing that his grandmother was his mother and his mother was his sister, until he learned the truth at age 37. He started his career as an assistant to animators at MGM and later wrote and directed some films for Roger Corman. He became a star after his breakthrough role in Easy Rider in 1969 and went on to work with some of the most acclaimed directors in Hollywood, such as Roman Polanski, Stanley Kubrick, James L. Brooks and Martin Scorsese. Nicholson has been married once and has had several long-term relationships with actresses, such as Anjelica Huston and Mila Kunis. He has six children from different partners. He is also a fan of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team and a godfather of Lorraine Bracco’s daughter Stella Keitel. Nicholson retired from acting in 2010 and has not appeared in a film since then. He lives in Beverly Hills, California and enjoys painting, reading and watching sports.
Here are some controversial quotes from Jack Nicholson
- “I don’t want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me.” This quote shows Nicholson’s ambition and determination to shape his own destiny. He said this in his Oscar-winning role as Frank Costello, a ruthless crime boss, in The Departed (2006). He also said that he improvised some of his lines in the film.
- “There’s only two people in your life you should lie to… the police and your girlfriend.” This quote reveals Nicholson’s cynical and humorous attitude towards relationships and authority. He said this in an interview with Esquire magazine in 2004. He also said that he was not good at lying and that he preferred honesty.
- “With my sunglasses on, I’m Jack Nicholson. Without them, I’m fat and 60.” This quote reflects Nicholson’s self-deprecating and realistic view of himself and his image. He said this in an interview with The Guardian newspaper in 2007. He also said that he wore sunglasses because he was sensitive to light and that he liked to hide behind them.
- “If you get an impulse in a scene, no matter how wrong it seems, follow the impulse. It might be something and if it ain’t – take two!” This quote demonstrates Nicholson’s creative and spontaneous approach to acting. He said this in an interview with Playboy magazine in 1972. He also said that he liked to improvise and experiment with different expressions and gestures.
- “Acting is everybody’s favorite second job.” This quote indicates Nicholson’s passion and enjoyment for acting, as well as his recognition of its challenges and limitations. He said this in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine in 1989. He also said that he did not consider acting as his main occupation and that he had other interests and hobbies.
- “I don’t think many people have a very good understanding of leisure and the importance it plays in our lives.” This quote expresses Nicholson’s appreciation and advocacy for leisure and relaxation, as well as his criticism of the workaholic culture. He said this in an interview with Esquire magazine in 2007. He also said that he liked to take long vacations and enjoy life.
- “I’m Irish. I think about death all the time.” This quote reveals Nicholson’s heritage and his dark sense of humor about mortality. He said this in an interview with The Guardian newspaper in 2007. He also said that he was not afraid of death and that he believed in reincarnation.
- “I’d give my goddamned soul for just a glass of beer.” This quote illustrates Nicholson’s intensity and desperation as an alcoholic writer in The Shining (1980). He said this to a ghostly bartender who offered him a drink in exchange for his loyalty to the haunted hotel. He also said one of his most famous lines in the film: “Here’s Johnny!”
- “Just because you’re perfectionist doesn’t mean you’re perfect.” This quote shows Nicholson’s humility and awareness of his flaws, as well as his high standards for himself and others. He said this in an interview with Vanity Fair magazine in 1992. He also said that he was always trying to improve himself and his work.
- “The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit.” This quote displays Nicholson’s wisdom and pragmatism, as well as his struggle with addiction. He said this in an interview with The Daily Mail newspaper in 2013. He also said that he quit smoking by chewing nicotine gum and that he reduced his drinking by switching to wine.