- Sprite is a clear, lemon-lime flavored soft drink created by the Coca-Cola Company.
- Sprite was developed in West Germany in 1959 as Fanta Klare Zitrone (Clear Lemon Fanta) and introduced to the United States as Sprite in 1961.
- Sprite was manufactured as Coca-Cola’s response to the popularity of 7 Up.
- Sprite is available in more than 190 countries.
- Sprite describes the flavor of their drink as lymon, a mixture of both lemon and lime, and this has since become one of their key marketing terms.
- Sprite picked up popularity with teenagers in the 1980’s after several advertising campaigns targeted at teenagers.
- In the 1990s, Sprite launched the ‘Jooky’ ad campaign, which poked fun at other soft drinks and their lack of authenticity and bandwagon-driven style of advertising.
- In 2000, graffiti artist Temper was hired by Sprite to create a limited edition design that appeared on 100 million cans distributed across Europe.
- In 2004, Coca-Cola created Miles Thirst, a vinyl doll voiced by Reno Wilson, to exploit the hip-hop market to advertise their range of soft drinks.
- A sprite is also the name for a type of small goblin, which was also the focus of one of the U.K.’s more memorable Sprite adverts.
- In 2012, Sprite was reformulated in France, removing 30% of the sugar and replacing it with the sweetener Stevia, lowering the total calorie count.
- The Stevia plant belongs to the chrysanthemum family and is native to Paraguay.
- Over the years Sprite has had 17 variations worldwide, including: Sprite Zero, Sprite Remix, Sprite Blast, Sprite Ice, Sprite Duo, Sprite Super Lemon, Sprite Lemon Lime Herb, Sprite Recharge, Sprite Green, Sprite 3G, Sprite Cranberry, Sprite 6 Mix (aka Sprite LeBron’s Mix) and Sprite Tropical.
- The slogan for Sprite is “Obey Your Thirst”, which was introduced in 1994 and has been used ever since.
- Some of the celebrities who have endorsed or appeared in Sprite commercials include LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Drake, Lil Yachty, Vince Staples and Ray Charles.
- The nutrition information for a 100ml serving of Sprite is: 79 kJ / 19 kcal energy, 0g fat (of which saturates 0g), 4.4g carbohydrate (of which sugars 4.4g), 0g protein and 0.01g salt.
- In the 1980s, Sprite became very popular with teenagers thanks to its advertising campaigns that targeted this demographic.
- In the 1990s, Sprite launched a humorous ad campaign called ‘Jooky’, which mocked other soft drinks for their lack of originality and authenticity.
- In 2000, Sprite collaborated with graffiti artist Temper to create a limited edition design that was featured on 100 million cans across Europe.
- In 2004, Coca-Cola introduced Miles Thirst, a vinyl doll that voiced by Reno Wilson, to appeal to the hip-hop market and promote their range of soft drinks.
- A sprite is not only a soft drink, but also a mythical creature. This was the theme of one of the memorable Sprite adverts in the U.K.
- In 2012, Sprite changed its formula in France, reducing the sugar content by 30% and replacing it with Stevia, a natural sweetener. This lowered the calorie count of the drink.
- Stevia, the sweetener used in some versions of Sprite, is derived from a plant that belongs to the chrysanthemum family and is native to Paraguay.
- Sprite has many variations around the world, such as Sprite Zero, which has no sugar or calories, Sprite Remix, which has different fruit flavors, and Sprite Cranberry, which has a festive twist.
- Sprite can be helpful for some stomach pains, especially if they are caused by gas. The carbonation in the drink can make you burp and release some of the pressure.
- The original logo for Sprite had a blue background with silver text and bubbles, giving it a cool and refreshing look.
- The current logo for Sprite has a green background with white text and a yellow dot above the “i”, representing a lemon or lime slice. This emphasizes the lymon flavor of the drink.
- The slogan for Sprite is “Obey Your Thirst”, which encourages consumers to follow their instincts and choose the drink that satisfies them.
- Some of the celebrities who have endorsed or appeared in Sprite commercials include LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Drake, Lil Yachty, Vince Staples and Ray Charles. They have shown their love for the drink and its lymon taste.
- The nutrition information for a 100ml serving of Sprite is: 79 kJ / 19 kcal energy, 0g fat (of which saturates 0g), 4.4g carbohydrate (of which sugars 4.4g), 0g protein and 0.01g salt. This means that Sprite is low in fat, protein and salt, but high in sugar and calories.
Sprite’s annual revenue for 2022 is estimated to be $4.997 billion. Sprite is a lemon-lime flavored soda that was introduced by the Coca-Cola Company in the early 1960s. It is the world’s leading lemon-lime flavored soda and the third best-selling soft drink brand worldwide. Sprite is sold in more than 190 countries.
What is the history of Sprite?
Sprite was originally developed in West Germany in 1959 by German soda manufacturer Fanta. The drink started life as part of the Fanta line with the name Clear Lemon Fanta. The rights to the name were acquired by the Coca-Cola Company in 1960. Sprite is a clear soda with a lemon-lime flavor and is known for its green color branding. Sprite is caffeine-free, crisp tasting, and has had a wide fan base since its introduction in 1961.