Here are 10 controversial quotes from Nicolas Cage
- I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther. I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion. This quote reveals Cage’s eccentric and unconventional approach to acting, as well as his desire to transform into different characters and personas. He compares himself to a variety of animals and a famous actor on drugs, suggesting that he is unpredictable and adventurous. He also expresses his interest in playing the accordion, which is an unusual instrument for a Hollywood star.
- I’m going to steal the Declaration of Independence. This quote is from Cage’s role as Benjamin Franklin Gates in the movie National Treasure (2004), where he plays a treasure hunter who believes that there is a secret map hidden on the back of the Declaration of Independence. The quote is controversial because it implies that Cage’s character is willing to commit a serious crime and disrespect a historical document for his own personal gain.
- Some things are true whether you believe in them or not. This quote is from Cage’s role as Seth in the movie City of Angels (1998), where he plays an angel who falls in love with a human woman. The quote is controversial because it challenges the notion of subjective truth and suggests that there are some objective realities that cannot be denied or ignored.
- Those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action. This quote is also from Cage’s role as Benjamin Franklin Gates in National Treasure, where he tries to convince his friend Riley Poole (played by Justin Bartha) to help him steal the Declaration of Independence. The quote is controversial because it implies that Cage’s character has a moral duty to pursue his quest, even if it involves breaking the law and risking his life.
- Every great story seems to begin with a snake. This quote is from Cage’s role as Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider in Ghost Rider (2007), where he plays a stunt motorcyclist who sells his soul to the devil and becomes a fiery vigilante. The quote is controversial because it associates snakes with greatness and creativity, while they are often seen as symbols of evil and temptation.
- I use technology for communication, but I don’t have a Blackberry or an iPhone. I use an outdated cell phone, but I’m fine with it. This quote is from an interview with Cage, where he reveals his preference for simple and old-fashioned devices over modern and sophisticated ones. The quote is controversial because it goes against the trend of consumerism and innovation that dominates the culture and industry of technology.
- To be a good actor you have to be something like a criminal, to be willing to break the rules to strive for something new. This quote is from an interview with Cage, where he explains his philosophy and method of acting. The quote is controversial because it equates acting with criminality and suggests that actors have to be rebellious and daring to achieve artistic excellence.
- Nobody wants to watch perfection. This quote is also from an interview with Cage, where he talks about his fascination with conflict and drama in human nature. The quote is controversial because it challenges the idea of perfection as an ideal and desirable goal, and instead embraces imperfection as a source of interest and attraction.
- I always add a year to myself, so I’m prepared for my next birthday. So when I was 39, I was already 40. This quote is also from an interview with Cage, where he shares his unusual habit of aging himself ahead of time. The quote is controversial because it contradicts the common practice of lying about one’s age or trying to look younger than one actually is.
- There’s a fine line between the Method actor and the schizophrenic. This quote is from Cage’s biography on IMDb, where he comments on his use of the Method acting technique, which involves immersing oneself in the character’s emotions and experiences. The quote is controversial because it compares Method actors with schizophrenics, who suffer from a mental disorder that affects their perception of reality.