Here are 10 controversial quotes from Jackie Chan
- “I’m not young anymore. I’m really, really tired. And the world is too violent right now. It’s a dilemma – I like action but I don’t like violence.” This quote reflects Jackie Chan’s frustration with the increasing brutality and realism of action movies, as well as his own physical limitations as he ages. He has expressed his desire to do more dramatic roles and less stunts, but he also feels obligated to please his fans who expect him to do spectacular feats. He is caught between his artistic vision and his commercial appeal.
- “Don’t try to be like Jackie. There is only one Jackie. Study computers instead.” This quote is Jackie Chan’s advice to young aspiring martial artists who want to follow his footsteps. He is trying to dissuade them from pursuing a dangerous and difficult career that requires a lot of sacrifice and luck. He is also implying that he is irreplaceable and unique, which some might find arrogant or dismissive.
- “We’re all the same inside.” This quote is Jackie Chan’s expression of his belief in human equality and unity. He has often used his films as a platform to promote cross-cultural understanding and cooperation, especially between China and the West. However, some might argue that this quote is too simplistic or naive, and that it ignores the differences and conflicts that exist among people of different races, religions, and backgrounds.
- “I prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.” This quote is Jackie Chan’s motto for his life and work. He has faced many challenges and risks in his career, such as injuries, accidents, censorship, and piracy. He has always tried to overcome them with optimism and resilience, but he also acknowledges the possibility of failure and disaster. Some might find this quote inspiring or realistic, while others might find it pessimistic or fatalistic.
- “Family is not who’s blood is in you, is who you love and who loves you.” This quote is Jackie Chan’s definition of family, which he has expanded beyond his biological relatives. He has adopted several children from different countries, and he has also formed close bonds with his co-stars and crew members. He has shown his generosity and loyalty to his family by supporting them financially and emotionally. However, some might criticize this quote as hypocritical or contradictory, given that he has admitted to cheating on his wife and neglecting his estranged son.
- “The best fights are the ones we avoid.” This quote is Jackie Chan’s philosophy of martial arts, which he has learned from his master Yu Jim-yuen. He believes that fighting should be used only for self-defense or justice, not for aggression or revenge. He has also demonstrated his preference for comedy and creativity over violence and gore in his fight scenes. However, some might question this quote as inconsistent or ironic, considering that he has made a fortune from portraying fights on screen.
- “You don’t need a reason to be nice to someone.” This quote is Jackie Chan’s attitude towards kindness, which he has practiced throughout his life. He has been known for his generosity and humility, as well as his involvement in various charitable causes. He has also treated his fans with respect and gratitude, often taking time to sign autographs and take photos with them. However, some might challenge this quote as unrealistic or impractical, especially in a competitive and ruthless industry like show business.
- “Cinema reflects culture and there is no harm in adapting technology, but not at the cost of losing your originality.” This quote is Jackie Chan’s opinion on the evolution of cinema, which he has witnessed firsthand in his long career. He has embraced new technologies such as CGI and 3D, but he has also maintained his signature style of combining martial arts with comedy and stunts. He has also resisted the pressure to conform to Hollywood standards or Chinese censorship, and instead followed his own vision and voice. However, some might accuse this quote as hypocritical or outdated, given that he has repeated some of his formulas and themes over the years.
- “Do not let circumstances control you. You change your circumstances.” This quote is Jackie Chan’s advice on how to deal with challenges and obstacles in life. He has exemplified this by overcoming poverty, discrimination, injury, and failure in his journey from a stuntman to a superstar. He has also shown his adaptability and versatility by working in different genres and markets around the world. However, some might dispute this quote as unrealistic or insensitive, as it implies that anyone can succeed if they try hard enough, regardless of their situation or limitations.
- “Nothing makes me more determined to succeed than someone telling me something’s impossible.” This quote is Jackie Chan’s motivation for achieving his goals and dreams. He has faced many doubts and criticisms from others who thought he was too old, too foreign, or too different to make it in the film industry. He has proven them wrong by breaking records and barriers with his talent and charisma. However, some might interpret this quote as stubborn or arrogant, as it suggests that he does not listen to feedback or advice from others.