Beetroot offers a host of health benefits. Its crunchy taste and deep earthy flavour add uniqueness to your salads, stir-fries and other dishes. This root vegetable has high fibre content, along with nutrients and also sugar.
Here we present the top 10 health benefits of beetroot, which will encourage you to make it a part of your diet:
- Low blood pressure: Beetroot contains high amounts of inorganic nitrates. This inorganic nitrate has a positive impact on our health as it helps in reducing blood pressure levels. Moreover, the nitrates enhance the formation of nitric oxide, which dilates and relaxes the blood vessels.
- Better heart health: With reduced blood pressure levels, beetroot helps to alleviate heart diseases, which are mostly caused due to high blood pressure. So, beetroot will actually help in reducing the risks associated with heart diseases, and stroke. The nitric oxide further improves blood flow and promotes your heart health.
- Aids in detoxification: Beetroot helps in detoxifying the body by eliminating the toxins from the body through the colon. The production of red blood cells is also enhanced in the body, which increases your stamina.
- Low fat and calories: Beetroot has high sugar content, but, it is low in calories and fat.
- Weight management: Beetroots has low fat and is loaded with fibre, so it will make you feel full for a longer time. Thus, if you are managing your weight and aiming to lose some weight, it is a must-have vegetable in your diet.
- Rich in antioxidants: Beetroot gets its pink colour from betanin, an effective antioxidant, just like polyphenols. This antioxidant content of beetroot protects the artery walls and safeguards against any kind of heart disease or cardiovascular stroke.
- Fights inflammation: The betanin content of beetroot helps in fighting inflammation, which is also associated with diseases like cancer, heart diseases, obesity and also liver diseases. Studies also suggest that beetroot juice is also helpful in reducing pain or discomfort associated with diseases like osteoarthritis.
- Packed with nutrients: Beetroot contains folate, fibre, vitamin C and other minerals. It is a rich source of fibre and other minerals like iron, potassium and manganese which are essential for maintaining good health. Its vitamin C content ensures that your immunity level is high and the folate ensures proper tissue growth and the fibre helps in smooth digestion.
- Complete hair care: For your haircare problems also, you can bank on beetroot. It is the perfect remedy for an itchy scalp. You can blend beet juice with vinegar and ginger juice and massage on the scalp. Or, just boil some beets in water and massage your scalp with the pulpy liquid.
- Better exercise capacity: Beetroot will enhance your stamina and physical performance. So, you will have better performance while you indulge in cycling or running. This is due to the fact that beetroot improves your oxygen use which enhances your exercise performance.