Here are 15 super interesting facts about Baskin Robbins
- Baskin Robbins is the only ice cream chain in the world that has the unique “31 flavor” concept. It represents a different flavor for each day of the month.
- Burt Baskin and Irv Robbins, the founders of Baskin Robbins, were brothers-in-law. Burt married Irv’s sister Shirley in 1942.
- The phrase “31 Flavors” was first introduced into marketing efforts in 1953. Before that, the brand was known as Burt’s Ice Cream Shop and Snowbird Ice Cream.
- Baskin Robbins has created more than 1,300 delicious and unique ice cream flavors in its 70 year history. Some of the most popular ones are Vanilla, Chocolate, Mint Chocolate Chip, Pralines ‘n Cream, and Chocolate Chip.
- Pralines ‘n Cream ice cream was created by Irv Robbins and his wife Irma in their California home kitchen in 1970. It was inspired by a New Orleans candy that Irma had brought back from a trip.
- Baskin Robbins has honored important American events and cultural trends by introducing premium ice cream flavors. Some examples are Lunar Cheesecake, Sesame Sweet, Beatle Nut, and Green Monster Mint.
- Baskin Robbins currently holds the Guinness World Record for the largest cup of ice cream. The giant vanilla ice cream scoop, weighing 8,865 lbs., was created on September 13, 2005 in celebration of the company’s 60th birthday.
- Famous former Baskin Robbins scoopers include United States President Barack Obama, chef Bobby Flay, actresses Julia Roberts, Rosie O’Donnell and Chandra Wilson, actors Eric Dane and Randy Quaid, TV host Leeza Gibbons and New York Yankees pitcher Phil Hughes. They all worked at Baskin Robbins stores before they became famous.
- Baskin Robbins uses the number 31 to suggest that this is how many flavors of ice cream that they offer on their menus. However, they usually offer more than that at any one time.
- Baskin Robbins’ brand colors are pink and blue, but the original colors were brown (representing chocolate) and pink (representing cherries), and the brand’s famous polka dots represented circus balloons.
- The color pink in the logo forms not only a part of the letters BR, but also the number 31, representing the famous 31 flavor concept of Baskin Robbins.
- Baskin Robbins operates in nearly 50 countries worldwide. There are more than 7,800 Baskin Robbins locations around the world, with more than 2,500 located in the United States.
- Outside of the U.S., Baskin Robbins’ largest markets include Japan and Korea, which each have nearly 1,200 locations.
- Baskin Robbins entered into the Guinness Book of World Records for creating the “World’s largest ice cream scoop pyramid. It had 3100 scoops of ice cream on May 18, 2000.
- The American singer Sean “Diddy” Combs got his first break when he starred in a Baskin Robbins commercial at the age of 2. He was featured eating an ice cream cone with his father.