Bill Gates is an American entrepreneur and philanthropist who co-founded Microsoft Corporation, the world’s largest personal-computer software company. Here are some interesting facts about him:
1. Bill Gates was born on October 28, 1955 in Seattle, Washington. He was the second of three children.
2. Gates wrote his first software program at the age of 13. It was a tic-tac-toe game that allowed users to play against the computer.
3. In high school, Gates helped form a group of programmers who computerized their school’s payroll system.
4. Gates attended Harvard University but dropped out after two years to start Microsoft with his childhood friend Paul Allen.
5. In 1987, Forbes magazine listed Gates as the world’s youngest self-made billionaire.
6. In 2015 he was the richest man in America.
7. He was named the richest person in America’s 50 largest cities in 2016.
8. Gates pledged to give 50 percent of his wealth to philanthropy. He has donated over $36 billion to charity through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
9. Gates has been awarded numerous honorary degrees and has been recognized as a philanthropist.
10. Gates is an avid reader and has recommended several books over the years including “The Better Angels of Our Nature” by Steven Pinker and “The Rosie Project” by Graeme Simsion.