The George Foreman Grill, named after the former professional boxer who became its spokesman, is a popular indoor electric grill known for its unique design that allows it to drain off the fat from food, promoting healthier eating, the grill’s popularity soared with over 100 million units sold worldwide. The grill comes in various sizes and colors, and its use extends beyond grilling meats to include vegetables, sandwiches, and more. Its unique sloped design, non-stick surface, and in some models, removable and interchangeable plates for different cooking styles, contribute to its convenience and versatility. Despite its competitors, the George Foreman Grill remains an enduring symbol of quick, healthy cooking and a staple in many kitchens around the globe.
1. The George Foreman Grill was introduced in 1994 by the company Salton, Inc.
2. It is named after its spokesman, George Foreman, a former professional boxer.
3. The grill became immensely popular due to its ability to “knock out the fat,” a tagline coined by George Foreman.
4. The grill’s design allows it to drain off the fat from food while cooking, thus promoting healthier eating.
5. Over 100 million units of the George Foreman Grill has been sold worldwide.
6. The original model of the George Foreman Grill was called the “Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine.”
7. The grill comes in many sizes, from models that cook two servings at once, to models that cook up to nine servings at once.
8. The grill is also available in a variety of colors to match different kitchen decors.
9. The grill uses electric heat and does not require charcoal or propane, making it suitable for indoor use.
10. It features a non-stick surface which makes cleaning easier.
11. The basic model has a fixed temperature setting, while some higher-end models have adjustable temperature controls.
12. The grill has a floating hinge to accommodate thick cuts of meat or large sandwiches.
13. It is often used to cook burgers, chicken, fish, vegetables, and even things like quesadillas or grilled cheese sandwiches.
14. The George Foreman Grill was marketed heavily on infomercials in the 1990s, which helped boost its popularity.
15. It also gained popularity due to its speed and convenience, often cooking food faster than a traditional grill or oven.
16. George Foreman himself said that he used the grill to cook his meals during his comeback to professional boxing.
17. Some models feature removable grill plates for easier cleaning.
18. Some models also have additional plates for waffles, paninis, and other types of cooking.
19. The George Foreman Grill has become a cultural icon, mentioned in TV shows and movies like “The Office” and “Knocked Up”.
20. The grill has been sold in over 45 countries around the world.
21. The grill was initially not very successful until George Foreman became its spokesperson.
22. There are even outdoor models of the grill for traditional outdoor barbecuing.
23. George Foreman received a percentage of the profits from each grill sold, making him more money than he earned in his boxing career.
24. George Foreman and the grill’s inventors, Michael Boehm and Robert Johnson, were inducted into the Inventor’s Hall of Fame in 2011.
25. The grill is often marketed as a dorm room essential because of its compact size and ease of use.
26. The grill has been redesigned several times over the years to keep up with modern cooking trends and user needs.
27. The grill often comes with a “drip tray” to catch the fat that drains off the food.
28. The unique sloped design of the grill aids in fat reduction by allowing it to drain away from the food.
29. Some high-end models feature digital timers and temperature controls.
30. Some models are designed to be easily portable for camping trips or other outdoor activities.
31. A smaller version, the “George Foreman Mini Grill,” has also been marketed for single-person use or for smaller kitchens.
32. There are several cookbooks available that are specifically written for the George Foreman Grill.
33. Despite new competitors in the market, the George Foreman Grill remains one of the most recognizable and popular electric grills worldwide.